Monday, July 22, 2013

Simple Trick to Remove Dog Fur from Furniture

Maverick


Let me just start the post by saying that this is the perfect dog.  I love this animal as if he were my own son.  Correction, because he is my son.  He can do no wrong.  That being said, he is a shedding banshee.  Since I can rarely tell him no, he is allowed on the sofa.  It matters not that we have a blanket on the sofa.  His fur still manages to find its way to the soft, chocolate brown, brushed twill surface of the sofa.  We're talking every surface here. Note to future furniture buying self.  Never buy another brushed twill sofa and never buy another sofa that isn't the color of my dog/son.

I've tried a ton of different ways to get his fur off the sofa.  One of those roller sticky things, every attachment on the vacuum cleaner and even duct tape.  Ugh!  I finally decided that I would try something based on a product I had years ago to remove cat fur from furniture.  Since I have no idea where to find one of these now (and I've looked,) I decided to try to make my own.  It's as simple as a damp sponge.  What?!?!?!?  Yep.  A damp sponge.  Check it out.


I'm using an all natural one because the name brand ones seem to have some sort of oil on them to keep them moist. Ewwww.  I turned the water on low and just ran the sponge under it once.  You can see it's still dry on one side.  Let that moisture spread throughout the sponge and then wring it out as hard as you can.  You only want the sponge to be ever so slightly damp.

Then simply drag it long the surface of the cushion.  You can see it's already working.
Here's the before.
And the after.
Not 100% I know, but I think you'll agree it's a LOT better.  It will also be easier to vacuum what remains.  Now I don't have to banish the boy to the floor.  Not that I could.  He is my son after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment